Wednesday 8 April 2009

Queenstown (again)

We are back down in Queenstown again for a few days as this was the next stop on Sarahs' bus route.  We drove down on Sunday morning while Sarahs and Sven got the bus around lunchtime (stopping off for a quick bungee-jump en route).  

After a morning of constant nagging we relented in the afternoon and took the boys up the Gondola to the top of the hill in Queenstown (it all helps make the annual pass good value for money).  After raining all morning we were lucky that the weather cleared and we had a good view looking back towards the town and lake.  

Sunday night was Formula One night again - this week we were not in a motel so I headed into town and found a bar showing the race live and was joined during the race by Sarahs and Sven.  The F1 organisers had the bright idea this year of making the Far East Grand Prix(<- plural) later in the day so that European fans don't have to get out of bed so early - so for this race I was kept up late (getting home just after midnight!).  No doubt they will revert to the original race timings for next year!

The rest of the week has been largely a washout.  Monday (rain) we drove out of town with Sarah H for ten-pin bowling.  Tuesday (rain) we went to the leisure pool at Frankton with Sarahs and Sven.  

Today we took a drive out to the shops at Frankton so that Nic could pick up some warm socks and we also picked up a small electric heater to help keep the van warm and dry in the rubbish weather.  Good move - it snowed this afternoon!!  We had a brief wander in town and then rode the Gondola to the top of the hill where we met up with Sarahs and Sven who had their first taste of the Luge track.  We didn't stay long because the boys found the snow a bit too cold and we didn't think hurtling down the luge track would help (actually Peter did).

We have said goodbye to Sarahs several times now (not knowing whether we will see them again before Australia) but tomorrow we are heading even further South to Te Anau because we have booked a trip to Milford Sound for Good Friday.

We need to get back to Dean and Diana's by next Wednesday so we can get the Campervan through its 'Certificate of Fitness' (heavy vehicle version of NZ equivalent of MOT).  The van is now listed for sale on Trade Me (NZ's version of Ebay) and has had a huge amount of interest so we are hoping that bids and a sale will follow.

We've now added photos of our recent exploits at Mount Cook and with Sarahs (we had to hold off on uploading for a while because we were over our monthly internet limit and it could have been very expensive).


No comments: